Building Vegetable Gardens

on Monday, July 29, 2013.

One of the first things Tyler and I DIY'ed to our house in Oklahoma was build vegetable gardens. Wanna know how we did it?

First we decided on making three 4x10 beds. Our beds are made with Douglass Fir wood. It's not pressure treated and I chose it that way since I didn't want the chemicals from the wood to seep into my soil. This is a organic vegetable garden you know! We put little posts in each corner to stabilize and screw into.

And, since we've had a surplus of moving boxes, we dug our grass out of the three plots, layed the bed forms on the plots and covered the insides of the beds with cardboard to prevent any Bermuda grass from creeping it's way in...



We took a bunch of limbs that we had trimmed off our trees from our backyard as "fill" for our gardens. This will eventually decompose and add nutrients to the soil will bulking up the garden bed.


And then I soaked the limbs and cardboard down to get them ready for decomposing.

Next, I used a website to calculate how much soil I would need to buy and what ratios. Since my beds are 4x10, I needed 27 cubic feet of soil mixture in the following ratio:
60% topsoil
30% compost
10% peat moss
So, for my gardens I used 16 bags of Hapigro Topsoil, 8 bags of compost (6 organic mushroom compost and 2 cow manure compost), and 1 cube of Mother Earth peat moss.



We filled the beds up with the mixture and sweated like crazy as we ho'ed it all together to get it nice and mixed.

We chose to make our walkways out of light shredded mulch and we made tripods out of some old canes we found on the side of the road back in Texas (thank you Jenny and Trace for spotting them).

This is what our garden looks like right now since I forgot to snap a final garden picture after we finished it all... I was tired by then!!!

What's growing in my garden? Well, that post is to come...

No Responses to Building Vegetable Gardens

Leave a Reply